Tuesday, November 09, 2010

End of Hawk Love

Our long national nightmare is over.

Do not celebrate because failure is tragedy. Buff fans should be happy to be moving on to a new day. But pause to take stock of what we witnessed. The transformation of a goofy, giddy, youthful, highly successful Dan Hawkins five years ago into the sullen, sober, beaten Dan Hawkins who left office today. Yet note that he left in a respectful, supportive manner without a hint of spite or anger.

The truth is, the Peter Principle is real and Dan Hawkins just demonstrated it in textbook fashion. So dampen your vitriol aimed at old Dan and be ever humble for there but by the grace of God go us all.

That said, I am ever so relieved to close the Hawkins chapter. I wanted it to work but it became obvious some time ago (November 4, 2009, to be exact) that Dan's administration would just never become unmired in mediocrity. I believe he gave it everything he had, but he was just never cut out for the job.

So now we move on. The truly great Buff Brian Cabral will, yet again, serve as interim head coach through the end of the season. The players love and respect him so, who knows, this team may truly rally.

Now, who should be the next permanent head coach?

Stop right there - I am honored by your confidence in me but I simply cannot accept your offer to coach this team. As much as I'd love to, I've got my hands super full already.

Stay tuned for plenty of coaching rumors in the coming days and weeks. I certainly have my favorites and those will be revealed in due time.

But for today, thank Dan for trying hard. And simply close the chapter. Tomorrow a new one begins.



Good night, sweet prince. I'll always remember you with this haircut.

No comments: