Wednesday, November 04, 2009

It's not you, it's me... But mostly you.

Honey, we have to talk.

Come here, sit down. Let me pour you a glass of wine. There right to the top.

So, there's no easy way to say this but... It's not you... it's me. I'm just not satisfied with... you.

Look, this whole relationship was sort of crazy from the start. Hard to believe that it was four years ago... seems so much longer. You were a handsome, wholesome country boy who seemed to have all the right answers. I was a naive schoolgirl coming off a bad relationship. We had one crazy weekend together, everything seemed to click and BOOM! we were married.

But you know, it just was never right. I've known it ever since the Montana State incident. I think you knew it too. But we put on the act for the kids and our friends. We both wanted them to be happy. But between the two of us - there was never true love...

Oh, I know. It hurts to hear it said so bluntly out loud. But you know it too, you have to.

The passion has long since passed. And the sex - there's just no spark there any more. It's like we're on different pages. I want to go straight down the middle with the occasional double reverse to keep things interesting. And you... well frankly I can't even tell what it is you're trying to do...

So, what I'm saying is this. I think it's time for both of us to move on with our lives. Separately. I'm sure you'll find someone who can give you the love and support that you need. Perhaps at a rural, division II school. Or an experimental league in, say, Latvia. That would be nice for you. Me? I'll be fine. I suppose this old gal can still find a gent who shares her interests and values. Someone worldly, dashing, handsome, competent, someone who doesn't run wide sweeps on 4th and inches... Oh, sorry... I forgot you were still sitting there for a sec.

Anyhoo... The kids. They're going to be so upset. I mean Cody is *already* upset - I'm afraid that he'll never speak to either one of us again. And the others... Sure, the older ones know what's going on. But the youngsters, the freshmen and sophomores, they'll just be crushed. It'll be like Toledo all over again for them. I think we should wait until after the holidays to break the news to them. At least until after Thanksgiving.

So there it is. Don't look so glum. Let's just remember the good times. Oklahoma, West Virginia, Kansas. Those were good. Just don't dwell on the negatives, just put those behind you. No need to even mention them, really... Like Montana State, Toledo, CSU, ISU, Baylor, Kai Maiava, Josh Smith, Darrell Scott, the horrible beatings by Missouri, the Baylor triple overtime. Those embarrassing failures, well, you just shouldn't dwell on them. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, ya know? Who knows, maybe we'll beat Texas A&M and have a few more laughs together before we go our separate ways.

And you know, we'll always be friends. I'll always be there if you need someone to, uh, call or something. Long distance.

OK then, good talk. So you'll be moved out but 1st of December and, um, I think you should sleep in the spare bedroom in the mean time. I already moved your stuff in there. K, great.

No comments: