Sunday, September 10, 2006

Buffs vs. Rams review

Well, indeed we are in for a long season. A few thoughts...

What I liked:

Rushing defense is fantastic. Neither of our first two opponents has been able to run at all.

Pass rush was great. 6 sacks is an accomplishment.

Creativity on offense. Hey, it didn't pan out but I like the coaches pulling out all the stops. I can't tell you how excited I was to see the option. It sputtered by the second quarter but, still, it was worth a shot.

Punting was mostly improved. The 75 yarder by DiLallo was impressive.

The SlingBox hooked to my Tivo back in Boulder worked like a charm allowing me to watch the game here in Argentina (even pause and rewind).

What I didn't like:

Defensive secondary made Caleb Hanie look like whoever the most accurate passer of all times is. Actually, Hanie was really threading the needle - even when we had great coverage (which we frequently didn't) he was still hitting the receiver. Also, our lack of height at CB was evident. The TD pass to Sperry was clearly blown coverage.

Bad clock management. We blew a chance for Mason to kick a chip shot at the end of the half. Would have changed the momentum.

No receivers. Sure, Patrick Williams had his best game yet, but that was 4 catches. We can't get anyone open downfield and when we do, we can't get the ball to them. Which means that the opposing defense just put 8 in the box and shut down the run.

In general no fire on offense. When crunch time approached, there was just nothing there. Seems like they packed it in.

Trev Alberts. When I heard he would be announcing the game, I nearly vomited. That Fusker hates the Buffs. But actually during the game he was way less of an ass-wipe than he could have been so I salute that red bastard for his restraint.

So now what?

Well, to turn this thing around, there's only one more thing that I can do. Come to Boulder and bring my South American juju to the Buffs. Did you know that Argentina has been the reigning world polo champs uninterrupted since 1949?! Some of that magic probably has rubbed off on me by now so I'll bottle it up and bring it to Folsom next Saturday. CU all there!

No comments: